Updated VOSI schema files

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 23 10:24:06 CET 2018

Hi GWS, hi Guilia,

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 09:52:48AM +0000, Mark Taylor wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018, Markus Demleitner wrote:
> > But that's for another day -- the particular riddle you encountered
> > has an easy solution. Essentially, we didn't have a Erratum process
> > in place when you noted the schema in VOSI 1.0 in the document is
> > wrong and contradicts the spec -- see
> > http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/grid/2014-October/002677.html.  As a
> > consequence, the schema in the repo was updated with what's there now
> > and what's correct for VOSI 1.0, while the document text remained
> > unmodified and still contradicts itself.
>
> Are you sure?  It looks to me like that's exactly what hasn't happened;
> the schema at http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.0.xsd
> (still) does not match the text from VOSI 1.0 Appendix A.3, it still
> targets the VOSICapabilities namespace.  Your GWS list email cited
> above says:
>
> Markus wrote to grid at ivoa.net on 29 Oct 2014:
>
> > Unless anybody comes up with a reason why not in the next few days,
> > I plan to ask the IVOA Document Coordinator to replace the existing
> > copy on the IVOA web site with a version cut'n'pasted from the
> > VOSI appendix, as per the attachment to this message.
>
> I don't know whether you did make that request to ivoadoc, but it
> doesn't look like any such change was actually performed.

Oh, you're right again, and this time I don't even have a Friday as a
lame excuse for my not even bothering to check.

So, here's what should be done:

(1) overwrite

http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.0.xsd

with what's actually in Appendix A.3 of
http://ivoa.net/documents/VOSI/20110531/REC-VOSI-1.0-20110531.html

(2) put the content of

https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/grid/VOSI/VOSITables-v1.1.xsd

http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.1.xsd

(3) Make whatever magic makes

http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/v1.0

(yes, 1.0 here) resolve to
http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.0.xsd
right now resolve to
http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.1.xsd
in the future.

Since this procedure is going to happen a bit more often in the
future (updates to RegistryInterfaces, VOResource and more later
coming up; we should also make sure that the SimpleDALRegExt schema
files -- for which this should already have happened -- are correctly
updated), I'd say the procedure would be a good addition to the web
assets note (http://ivoa.net/documents/notes/webassets/index.html).

Sorry for the two confused first attempts, and thanks to Mark for
paying attention,

            Markus