Updated VOSI schema files

Markus Demleitner msdemlei at ari.uni-heidelberg.de
Mon Jan 22 09:52:33 CET 2018

Hi Mark,

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 02:15:00PM +0000, Mark Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Markus Demleitner wrote:
>
> > VOSI 1.1 (see https://volute.g-vo.org/svn/trunk/projects/grid/VOSI/)
> > has updated the VOSITables-v1.0.xsd schema -- there is now a tables
> > element, and you can tell you have the newer schema from the
> > @version="1.1" attribute in the root element.
> >
> > For one reason or another, the update hasn't made it to the XML
> > schema page, http://ivoa.net/xml.  Could you update the file there?
> >
> > The file name should not change -- I suppose we should archive the
> > old VOSITables-v1.0.xsd as VOSITables-v1.0-20110531.xsd (the document
> > date of VOSI 1.0) until we come up with a better scheme to accomodate
> > the new schema versioning policies
> > (http://ivoa.net/documents/Notes/XMLVers/index.html)
>
> Are you sure about this?  From my reading of section 3 of the
> XMLVers PEN you cite above, I'd say that
>
>    http://ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.0.xsd
>
> should stay where it is, the new schema should be added as
>
>    http://ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.1.xsd

Yes, you are of course completely right.

> and then
>
>    http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/v1.0
>
> should be changed to redirect to the new
> http://ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.1.xsd
> rather than the old
> http://ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.0.xsd

Exactly.  I was confused on Friday and had the misconception that the
namespace URI contained the XSD file name.  Fortunately, that's
wrong, at least for the VOSI schemas.  Phew.

So, Giulia, please ignore my pre-weekend jabber.  Mark is right, I was
wrong.

For the record: I just went through the XML namespace URIs DaCHS
actively uses, and the problem I was trying to dodge on Friday --
namespace URIs directly referencing schema files -- only occurs for
STC-X (NS URI http://www.ivoa.net/xml/STC/stc-v1.30.xsd).  Since I don't
think we'll update this: All is fine.  Let's go adhead with the PEN
plan!

> As a separate issue: the document currently residing at
> http://ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/VOSITables-v1.0.xsd and hence
> http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/v1.0 doesn't look right to me:
> I'd expect to see the schema from A.3 of VOSI 1.0,
> but it's different, e.g. the top-level xsd:schema/@targetNamespace is
> http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSICapabilities/v1.0 rather than
> http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOSITables/v1.0.
> Am I going mad?  (quite possible - I feel my sanity draining
> every time I think about XML namespaces).

Well, I might feel compelled to defend namespaces as such -- we just
shouldn't have included minor version numbers in them.

But that's for another day -- the particular riddle you encountered
has an easy solution. Essentially, we didn't have a Erratum process
in place when you noted the schema in VOSI 1.0 in the document is
wrong and contradicts the spec -- see
http://mail.ivoa.net/pipermail/grid/2014-October/002677.html.  As a
consequence, the schema in the repo was updated with what's there now
and what's correct for VOSI 1.0, while the document text remained
unmodified and still contradicts itself.

I suppose if someone wrote an Erratum for VOSI 1.0 and we had a TCG
telecon, it would sail right through.  But I doubt too many eyes
will still look at VOSI 1.0.  So, I, for one, won't bother.

Thanks,

         Markus