Home for the UWS Registry Extension?

Brian Major major.brian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 00:58:01 CEST 2018

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the review and comments.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 3:21 AM Mark Taylor <m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Brian,
>
> some comments as requested on the content of the UWSRegExt draft:
>
> Sec 1.1:
>    The first sentence mentions the TAP 1.1 specification,
>    but the citation is to TAP 1.0 (2010).

It now cites the 1.1 PR, thanks.

> Sec 2.2:
>    "Clients can recognize the TAP service as version 1.1 by checking
>     for a version attribute with the value "1.1" in the capability."
>
>        This is either confused or confusing (or I am): as far as
>        I can see the <capability> element does not have a
>        version attribute.  Clients have to look for version="1.1"
>        in (a? the?) <interface> element within the target capability.
>        So the TAP (or whatever) service itself is not versioned,
>        its various interfaces are.

Okay, I've corrected that and made it clear that the version attribute
appears in the interface not the capability.

> That also raises the question
>        of having multiple interfaces with the same securityMethod
>        and xsi:type, but different versions.

When another TAP version comes in the future (say 1.2) I think that such a
circumstance would be an acceptable way of distinguishing between 1.1 and
1.2, no?

> Sec 3:
>    "... how the various UWS endpoints (namely the synchronous and
>     asynchronous job execution endpoints) are to be discovered..."
>
>       To me the synchronous endpoint is not a UWS endpoint at all.
>       I would just write something like "... how the synchronous
>       and asynchronous endpoints are to be discovered ...".

Okay, I agree, that sounds better.  Done.

>    "The surrounding capability element should be marked with the
>     minor version of service specification, as per the recommendations
>     in the XML schema versioning note ((?)))."
>
>       This looks like the same issue as noted above:
>       <capability> does not have a version attribute.
>       Does it need to grow one?  Or do you mean the standardID
>       should have a value which includes the standard's version?

This should also have said 'interface' instead of 'capability'.  Thanks,
fixed.

> Sec 3.1 example capability document:
>    The stanza following the comment "# TAP 1.0 support" is a <capability>
>    element inside a <capability> element.   I don't think that's legal -
>    should those two <interface> elements be present here on their own?

Hmm, I don't see that in the version I'm editing.  Perhaps it was fixed by
someone else?

>    The accessURL for the authenticated (tls-with-certificate)
>    TAP 1.0 interface is the same as for the unauthenticated one,
>    accessURL="http://example.com/tap".  I think it should be
>    accessURL="https://example.com/tap".

Yes, thanks, fixed.

>    The stanza following the comment "# TAP 1.1 support" contains
>    several <interface> elements with identical namespace declaration
>    attributes xmlns:uws="http://www.ivoa.net/xml/UWSRegExt/v1.0".
>    This XML would (IMHO) be more readable if the that namespace
>    attribute were factored out to an outer element
>    (e.g. the top-level <capability>).

I agree about the readability but, since the new 'type' values are an
extension of 'Interface' in the XSD, doesn't that break the rules?  Anyone
know?

> Sec 3.2 XSD:
>    This schema references VOResource-1.0 - since VOResource 1.1 is
>    now REC, should it reference that?  Given the XSD Versioning Note,
>    I *think* the only change required is to the
>    xs:import/@schemaLocation attribute that should read
>       "http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/VOResource-v1.1.xsd"
>    rather than
>       "http://www.ivoa.net/xml/VOResource/VOResource-v1.0.xsd"

Good point.  Yes, I think you're right that the only change is to the
schemaLocation (Though I don't think this is because of the XSD versioning
note, but because the namespace only serves as a label for the schema
location.  I've made that change as you recommend because it seems like it
is at least in the same spirit as the schema versioning note.).  I will
change our implementation and test to make sure.

I've uploaded this latest version to the GWS main page:

    http://wiki.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaGridAndWebServices/UWSRegExt.pdf

Cheers,
Brian