UWS XSD file on ivoa.net

Brian Major major.brian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 00:32:27 CET 2017

Hi grid,

A recent bug in our code revealed that the UWS XML on ivoa.net (
http://www.ivoa.net/xml/UWS/v1.0) refers to the 1.0 version and not the 1.1
version.

If you recall, the 1.1 version of the XSD was built to be backwards
compatible with the 1.0 version.  To accomplish this, we introduced the XML
Schema versioning note that says, in a nutshell, that actual minor version
of the document is specified using the version attribute inside the
document, but the name of the XSD remains fixed at the initial major
version (1.0 in this case).  This allows the code to determine which
version of the document it is working with programmatically.

So, that means that http://www.ivoa.net/xml/UWS/v1.0 should be the
(backwards compatible) 1.1 version of UWS.  I would like to make this
change but thought I would give this warning in case you are using that URL
for your UWS implementation and would like to test it.

Code *should* be using a local copy of the XSD, but if you have a bug in
your code which downloads the one from ivoa.net (as we did!), then things
could break.

Please let me know if you have any concerns.  If I don't hear anything I'll
request for the change to be made during the week of March 13th.

Cheers,
Brian