VOSpace 2.1: Node searching?

Brian Major major.brian at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:20:22 CET 2016

Hi GWS,

One of the last remaining items to do for the VOSpace 2.1 draft is to
complete the "search nodes" functionality.  Although the textual
description of this functionality exists in the 2.0 specification, the
corresponding XSD was mistakenly omitted during the transition from 1.x to
2.0.

Because it is missing, I suspect that no VOSpace implementations have the
node searching capability (which is optional).  There can't be any that
conform to a searching specification at least.

Am I wrong?  Are there any implementations out there that allow node
searching right now?

There is interest in providing node searching capabilities in the CADC
VOSpace, but it will not be done in the near future.

In the spirit of having implementations drive the specifications, I am
proposing that node searching remain out of the 2.1 document.  If it
becomes an interest to VOSpace providers then it can be reintroduced in a
3.0 version.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this idea.

Cheers,
Brian

--
Brian Major

Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
Centre canadien de données astronomiques

National Research Council Canada
Conseil national de recherches Canada