IVOA XML Schema Versioning Policies

Brian Major major.brian at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 01:47:02 CET 2015

(I've dropped 'interop' from this discussion)

Andreas, thank you for this ALMA document, it is extremely valuable.

Grid, I had a talk with Andreas and we (perhaps hastily) concluded that the
approach to versioning XML schema is roughly the same in both documents.
However, one item that the IVOA version has not tackled is "instance
XML"--documents which have been created in the past and persisted.  (For
example, historical UWS job representations in a database.)

I don't think we've encountered the problem of having non-backwards
compatible XML instances yet, but we should keep Andreas' document in mind
if/when we do.  XML versioning policy is complicated work so having such a
resource is valuable.

Brian

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 9:59 AM, Andreas Wicenec <andreas.wicenec at uwa.edu.au