UWS 1.1 job list, sorting NULL values

Kristin Riebe kriebe at aip.de
Tue Oct 20 09:04:51 CEST 2015

Hi all,

just one more comment on validation:

>> Thus, errors like validation/preliminary checks (e.g. ADQL
>> query validation) are part of a job and are then reported as error
>> in a job description where startTime is NOT NULL. Since UWS is a
>> generic protocol, I think that such validation or pre-checks should
>> not be done externally to a job execution, except if is specified
>> explicitely in the protocol. Is it right?
>
> I think that this is also the correct approach - in the specification
> document, UWS does not really know anything about the job description
> language and as such operations like ADQL validation would most
> naturally not occur until the job has started execution.

I think it may be more useful to have a validation check before
execution of the job. At least for our SQL-service that is the approach
we chose: we're checking submitted jobs for missing UWS parameters and
also for basic SQL-errors (typos, basic grammar, valid table and column
names) *before* the jobs are passed on to the queuing system. Otherwise,
the user may submit a job, wait possibly for hours until the job is
started, only to realize then that there is a typo in the SQL-statement.
This may not be exactly what UWS prescribes, but that's what we find
more useful. Perhaps validation steps are something to consider further
in future UWS-versions.

Cheers,
Kristin

Dr. Kristin Riebe
E-Science & GAVO

Email: kriebe at aip.de
Phone: +49 331 7499-377
Room:  B6/25
Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Matthias Winker
Stiftung bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: 26 742-00/7026