UWS 1.1 multiple PHASE filters for job list

Kristin Riebe kriebe at aip.de
Fri Oct 9 22:11:17 CEST 2015

Hi Paul & everyone,

> I have to say the all of the frameworks that I have used tended to return the repeated keys as arrays or lists without it causing a particular problem, and I had sort of assumed that it was a standard convention - I do not think that there is anything in any of the relevant standards that does not allow repeated keys in the url parameters, so any framework that does assume repeated keys cannot occur is making an invalid assumption. Indeed I believe that a HTML form SELECT element that allows multiple selection behaves by repeating the key (and is the reason why this pattern was chosen), but I cannot actually find a reference that says it must be done this way - though see http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_select_multiple for an example of this in action.
> Given that the UWS standard currently uses repeated keys (which I think is not illegal and at least conventional), I think that we should not change this to allow specifying multiple PHASEs as a space separated string on the PHASE at this stage. If anyone can find a reference in any standard to the repeated key behaviour of form SELECT, I would be grateful.

Thanks for the clarification. Select-forms are a good point, and if W3C
supports repeated keys, this should be fine. It looks to me as if values
from search fields tend to be concatenated using '+' signs (e.g.
{url}?q=gamma+beta, {url}?title=dogs+cats), and select-forms are using
the repeated keys. But I only looked at a handful of applications and
couldn't find a standard supporting one over the other, so I'll be fine
with the repeated keys then.

> As a minimum though I will rephrase the “enumerated phases” in the UWS standard.
Thanks!

Cheers,

Kristin