UWS 1.1 multiple PHASE filters for job list

Kristin Riebe kriebe at aip.de
Fri Oct 9 14:41:26 CEST 2015

Dear Grid members,

I know, it's already quite late for comments on UWS 1.1. But while
implementing some of its features, I got into discussions with my
colleagues about the syntax with multiple phase-filtering.

Currently, the document says:
(2.2.2.1. Job List,
http://ivoa.net/documents/UWS/20150907/PR-UWS-1.1-20150907.pdf, page 13)

"If the PHASE filtering parameter is repeated, then
the service should list all the jobs in the union of the enumerated PHASEs."

So does it mean one should use:

{base-url}/{jobs}?PHASE=EXECUTING&PHASE=PENDING

or

{base-url}/{jobs}?PHASE1=EXECUTING&PHASE2=PENDING

?

>From what I tested with the version at CADC
(http://www.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/tap/auth-async) and
Grégory's UWS library, it seems the first version is supported there.
But the standard's phrase "enumerated phases" sounds like the second
version should be implemented?

>From other websites using filtering by multiple keys (e.g. wordpress),
it seems that common practice would be using the '+' sign to append
multiple values for one key, i.e.:

{base-url}/{jobs}?PHASE=EXECUTING+PENDING

I must say I like this much better than having multiple PHASE-keys
(which break a lot of frameworks that assume unique keys) or enumerating
them with PHASE1, PHASE2 etc.

What do you think?

Either way, I'd suggest to add at least one example for filtering by two
phases in the standard to make it clearer.

Cheers,

Kristin

Dr. Kristin Riebe
E-Science & GAVO

Email: kriebe at aip.de
Phone: +49 331 7499-377
Room:  B6/25
Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam (AIP)
An der Sternwarte 16, D-14482 Potsdam
Vorstand: Prof. Dr. Matthias Steinmetz, Matthias Winker
Stiftung bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftungsverzeichnis Brandenburg: 26 742-00/7026