GWS Splinter: XSD Schema Evolution

Brian Major majorb at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Jun 18 09:09:25 CEST 2015

Hi grid,

I'm happy to say that the discussion on XSD schema evolution resulted in
agreement on method.  In a nutshell:

1.  Clients are do to best-effort parsing (discourage schema validation)
2.  The XSD namespace is to be that of the major revision (x.0)
3.  For version discovery, the precise version shall be included in the
root element of the XSD and XML documents.
4.  Tests & validators are still to use XML validation

Paul Harrison has graciously offered to write up a note on our discussions
that will be sent out for review.

Brian

--
Brian Major

Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
Centre canadien de données astronomiques

National Research Council Canada
Conseil national de recherches Canada