Whitespace in UWS phase endpoint

Mark Taylor m.b.taylor at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 11:55:42 CEST 2014

Dear GWS,

I've come across a UWS service that appends newline characters to
the fixed string returned from the {jobs}/(job-id)/phase endpoint:

   % curl -s {jobs}/(job-id)/phase | od -cx
   0000000   C   O   M   P   L   E   T   E   D  \r  \n
           4f43    504d    454c    4554    0d44    000a

Since my code is looking for words like "COMPLETED" without trailing
whitespace, it fails.

Is it permitted for services to append whitespace in this way?
Most services I've encountered don't do it.
Obviously it's easy enough for me to change my client code, but
I'd like to know whether/how to report it in service validation code.

thanks

Mark