new UWS 1.1 WD

Kristin Riebe kriebe at aip.de
Thu Oct 2 08:50:46 CEST 2014

Hi Grid,

On 10/01/2014 09:16 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:

> the standard HTTP /REST way of achieving this is to use the ACCEPT header on the result URL http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html - which gives the client the mechanism to say which of the different forms that it would want - however, advertising what is available is not so clear - see for example the discussion on https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Content_negotiation.
>
> However, although there are standard mechanisms for getting this information, In both cases I think that it would make life easier if we were simply to allow a size and mime-type attribute on the result element. In fact given that the standard HTTP mechanisms are not that good for mime type advertising, having an attribute that listed the available mime types for a resource would be an improvement. I think that I would prefer a mime attribute that contained a comma separated list of available mime types rather than multiple result elements for the same logical result - then the ACCEPT header mechanism could be used on the single result URL.
>
> I think that they could be added to 1.1 - the only downside would be that requires a schema change officially and we come back to that tricky question of how strict old clients (and new ones) are about XML validation - if only we had not used XML schema define the XML structures and had an “ignore what you don’t understand” general rule in place it would be much easier to evolve these standards.

Thanks! That sounds good, also comma-separated mime-types would be fine
with me. It would be great if it could already be included in UWS 1.1!

I also like the "lax" value for processContents:
<xs:anyAttribute namespace="urn:uwsextension" processContents="lax" />

to allow additional attributes in result without trouble.

Cheers,
Kristin