UWS POST PHASE=RUN

Walter Landry wlandry at caltech.edu
Wed Nov 5 20:22:56 CET 2014

> On Nov 5, 2014, at 8:33 AM, Matthew Graham wrote:
>> On Nov 5, 2014, at 7:53 AM, Walter Landry wrote:
>>> Just to be clear, I am proposing getting rid of PENDING.  To handle
>>> the Patrick's use-case, you can ask the service for estimates, but you
>>> can not modify anything that is persistent.  You can only cancel them.
>>
>> So a job is submitted and automatically entered into a QUEUED state
>> which is then persistent?

If you only ask for an estimate, nothing is queued.  The service
promptly forgets about your request after it returns an estimate.

>> The QUEUED state can be useful in third-party data transfers where
>> you are negotiating with two VOSpaces and do not want the job
>> running until both client and server are agreed on the
>> transaction. This is not an estimate but negotiation.

Can you give an example of this negotiation?  What kind of information
is being exchanged?

>> More generally, though, the problem with getting rid of PENDING is
>> that it will not only impact UWS but also VOSpace and possibly TAP
>> and the code bases for those already out there.

Getting rid of PENDING would certainly not be a minor modification to
UWS.  It would, however, make UWS easier to implement, since it
integrates better with existing queuing software (e.g. SLURM, LSF,
PBS).

Cheers,
Walter Landry