UWS POST PHASE=RUN

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Nov 4 20:40:28 CET 2014

UWS allows for the client to specify parameters and the service to
advertise some limits (max execution time) and predictions (quote). Yes,
they are notoriously hard to implement :-) There is some negotiation
that can be performed, but part of that might be that the client could
change some aspect of the job in order to negotiate a satisfactory outcome.

For example, say I create a job with MAXREC=1e6 and the server responds
with OK, but destruction is only 1200 (seconds in the future). The the
client modifies the job to MAXREC=1e5 and the server now sets
destruction to 3 days in the future. Nothing says the service has to
adjust limits, but in the current spec they can adjust limits, clients
can ask for different limits, and failing that clients can adjust the
job to find a satisfactory limit.

It would more of a pain to keep creating new async jobs rather than
negotiate over one of them and IMO changing the job can/should be part
of the negotiation. This all happens in PENDING phase, before any
execution, so there is no cancel per se (client could delete the old
job). So this is "pre-queueing".

To be fair, I don't see this as a major issue for jobs like TAP queries
or vospace transfers, but I could definitely see it being important for
things like processing jobs. In that kind of system, the job description
now usually contains things like number of cores to use, amount of
memory, etc... one could easily imagine that request for lots of cores
and rams could result in a large value of quote (waiting in the queue)
and reducing one or both might reduce the quote so the job runs sooner.

Pat

--

Patrick Dowler
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre

250-363-0044 (office) 250-363-0045 (fax)