VOSpace vs WebDAV

Brian Major majorb at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu May 15 14:28:33 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

Here at the CADC we have had similar talks about VOSpace, but not
necessarily about how it compares to WebDAV.  A question we are trying to
answer is "What does VOSpace offer for astronomers?"  Indeed, there is very
little in the specification that is specific to astronomy.  It is a
well-designed, general-purpose virtual storage system specification.
 However, there are some things to consider:

- There is real value in VOSpace Views.  This feature allows the CADC to
deliver to the user only the bytes in which they are interested, not just
whole files.

- The specification has been flexible enough to allow the CADC
implementation to have customizations and optimizations in our supporting
storage systems that may be running on heterogeneous infrastructures.  If a
lower-level standard is adopted will there be such flexibility?

That said, I agree with Dave here--I think it's time to step back and look
at the big picture and the role and look of VOSpace in the future.

Here are some technologies/articles you may find interesting that pertain
to this discussion:

- A federated storage system build on WebDAV: Dynamic Federations  (
http://www.dynamicfederation.org/DynFed/Welcome.html)
- An similar article on that here: https://indico.cern.ch/event/218328/  I
think you can substitute "HEP" with "Astronomy".
- The object storage system ceph:  (http://ceph.com/)
- A possible alternative to VOSpace Views: The JPEG 2000 Interactive
Protocol (http://www.jpeg.org/jpeg2000/j2kpart9.html) and analysis from
Andreas here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1307.5123

Brian

--
Brian Major

Canadian Astronomy Data Centre
Centre canadien de données astronomiques

National Research Council Canada
Conseil national de recherches Canada