UWS 1.1 comments

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 20 01:31:23 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-20 00:06:12 Paul Harrison wrote:
> As already said you can start the job with all its parameters in one step
> already in V1.0 or you can do it in several steps using feedback from the
> server to fine tune the job metadata. Also note that you are not allowed
> to create new parameters after the initial POST, only potentially change
> their values - and again this is an optional feature for the server to
> support - the only place that the server must support setting parameter
> values is in the initial POST.

Paul - can you point to the section of the UWS spec that prohibits one to POST
new params to the job or the parameters child resource? I naively would think
that a POST to /joblist/<jobid> would modify the job and a POST to
/joblist/<jobid>/parameters would modify the parameter list (eg add something
to it). A POST to /joblist/<jobid>/parameters/foo would modify the existing
parameter named foo and fail (404) if it was not there (not create it). This
would all be standard REST style, imo.

Thoughts?

PS-In my opinion, changes to a spec that allow something previously not
allowed or otherwise relax constraints are in principle backwards compatible,
but if the spec really says that POST FOO=bar /joblist/job must modify an
existing param named FOO, that is problematic.

--

Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7