Modification Of UWS 1 to 1.1

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Oct 17 01:00:20 PDT 2011

On 2011-10 -16, at 14:07, Pierre Le Sidaner wrote:

> Le 14/10/2011 12:22, Paul Harrison a écrit :
>> Dear Pierre et. al.
>>
>> First some general comments;
>>
>> I think that in several areas you are making proposals that would make UWS 1.0 services invalid - this cannot be done, from both a point of IVOA procedure (a point version must be backwards compatible) and from a strategic perspective (we do not want to make anything obsolete at this stage). In addition you seem to want to be narrowing the scope of UWS by suggesting removing features that you do not want to use but that others (e.g. see email from Petr) find useful.
> We don't remove what it was. We just clarify and simplify UWS. It was last interop, that to ma make things goes on we leave 1.0 as it was and modify things in 1.1.
> I don't remove what I don't want to use. I just don't see the usage of some phases. And the groups we have worked with neither. So after implementing 1.0 we decide to remove what no proposed use case need. But it's a proposition to be discuss.

This is a central point - you might want to "simplify" how UWS works, but in a 1.1 version nothing that was true in the 1.0 version can be invalidated (see section 1.2 of http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/DocStd/20100413/REC-DocStd-1.2.pdf), so any changes would be in addition to old 1.0 behaviour of the UWS interface. I think that it is certainly true that the 1.1 version of the document could benefit from some more clarification of the purpose of several features of the 1.0 interface so that it is more obvious what must be implemented and what is an optional behaviour.

Regards,
	Paul.