credential delegation protocol

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Sep 10 13:03:51 PDT 2010

We have gone off the deep end in using X509 certficates for several projects
here in CADC and specifically in using IVOA standards wherever possible. In the
grid processing system we have people creating and maintaining VMs and running
them in "the cloud". Then users wanted to  create, copy, and delete VMs and
even share VMs with other users (eg these people can run my VM == group-read
permission)... the easy solution was to have users store their VMs in VOSpace
because it does all that.

However, to do that we now have other services which need to get the VM from
the VOSpace (eg the cloud system and the VM config system we setup so users
could boot/modify/save their VM on our side of the network) and that had to be
done with the users credentials. We needed to have a proxy certificate/key pair
we could use... we needed a standard way to do that from several places... we
need a credential delegation proto... heh! Here's one right here on ivoa.net
and it's already a standard!!

So, first thing: thanks to GWS for being ahead of the curve :-)

Has anyone implemented CDP? in java? It seems there are many ways to do X509
stuff wrong that still sort of work and there is more misinformation on the net
than I thought possible.

Also, has anyone worked with MyProxy (from NCSA) and can you explain the
overlap of that with CDP? Could one build CDP REST bindings on top of MyProxy
and thus get some stuff for free?

Anyway, we will be implementing CDP sometime soon.

--

Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7