set job control params in job creation POST

Patrick Dowler patrick.dowler at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Mar 5 09:49:15 PST 2009

context: In TAP we want to define a TERMINATION parameter for sync queries
with exactly the same semantics as it has in UWS for async queries.

One thing I discussed with Paul and Guy last summer was whether or not UWS
allowed one to init/set/request some of the resources in the initial POST
that creates the job. I recall (could be wrong) the conclusion was that you
COULD do this for service specific parameters but you COULD NOT do it for UWS
concepts and had to address job control POSTs to the specific child web
resource. That would mean that in TAP something like

POST /sync?TERMINATION=600&...

is allowed while

POST /async?TERMINATION=600

is not. There are many examples in the TAP doc where other TAP-specific
parameters are POSTed in the job creation step. This was thought to be OK but
it leaves an odd disconnect (especially for users) since some params can be
set at job creation and some (UWS defined) cannot. The situation will be
worse if the rules are different for the /async and /sync endpoints.

The goal (in TAP, but it is a general issue) is that we want to be able to run
synchronously or asynchronously by just changing the endpoint. To fully
accomplish that, one has to at least be permitted to completely specify the
job in a single POST - e.g. the job creation POST in the case of async. This
is simple enough to implement.

Has this been addressed in UWS 0.5? Thought about further?

--

Patrick Dowler
Tel/Tél: (250) 363-0044

Centre canadien de donnees astronomiques
Conseil national de recherches Canada
5071, chemin West Saanich
Victoria (C.-B.) V9E 2M7