UWS SOAP

Paul Harrison paul.harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 01:50:43 PDT 2008

Hi,

I am trying to finalize the SOAP binding section of the UWS standard
and am trying to find an interoperable way to represent the job
identifier as an (effective) argument to various operations.

The obvious way is to simply include the jobId as part of the SOAP
body input message for the various options - this is pretty much
guaranteed to be interoperable at the basic WS-I level - however it
might not be the most "elegant" solution. Earlier drafts of the UWS
standard have assumed that WS-Addressing would be used in some
fashion, but have not detailed exactly how.

In WS-Addressing (http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-addr-core) it would be
possible to encode the jobId in the End Point Reference so that there
were effectively different end points for each job in a similar way to
the REST binding for UWS. However, I am unsure as to how interoperable
such a scheme might be, as it might not match the model of addressing
that might be in the assumed by many of the SOAP stack toolkits.

Any opinions/experiences in this area would be welcome.

Regards,
	Paul.