Definitive version of the VOTable schema for web services

Anita M. S. Richards a.m.s.richards at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 02:11:28 PDT 2008

Even as an astronomer who does "turn up to IVOA meetings", Mark is
still right, I don't even want a VOTable per se, I just want my data in a
form where the first time I see it, will be a plot in TopCat or Aladin, or
an ascii table written out from a conversion tool,.  Or, if it is e.g. a
SIAP VOTable, a tree of images in Aladin. VOTable happens to be the
handiest way to move this, and as a data provider, I can figure out how to
write VOTables, just about.

If I want a very large amount of data I might be prepared to substitute a
few variables in an example script but any more than that and it takes too
much time.  Most astronomers haven't a clue what SOAP, WDSL or even code
bindings are, other than some magic.

cheers

Dr. A.M.S. Richards, AstroGrid Astronomer,
Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics, Alan Turing Building,
University of Manchester, M13 9PL
+44 (0)161 275 4124
and
MERLIN/VLBI National Facility, Jodrell Bank Observatory,
Cheshire SK11 9DL, U.K. +44 (0)1477 571321 (tel) 571618 (fax)