Definitive version of the VOTable schema for web services

Ray Plante rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 29 22:50:17 PDT 2008

Hey Matthew,

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Matthew Graham wrote:
> The code-binding approach, however, is supposed to be easier for end users
> (astronomers) who know (and want to know) nothing about constructing SOAP
> messages and WSDL.

I definitely sympathize with this sentiment, and if it is possible to
change the VOTable spec to work better with code binders, I think we
should do it.  That said, I'm actually not sure that the code binding
approach is that much easier when you consider the quality of the API
(into a complex structure) compared to your favorite, hand-hewn VOTable
library.

Leaving that as a matter of debate, what we are really weighing today is
the effort required by the IVOA to change the VOTable Schema (which has
been attempted before) against the effort required to create some binding
tools and/or a HOWTO for feeding the VOTable from a SOAP message into
one's favorite parser (or simply writing it out to a file!).

cheers,
Ray