Definitive version of the VOTable schema for web services

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue Jul 29 22:04:44 PDT 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Roy Williams wrote:

> Doug Tody wrote:
> > With that said: personally I do not think VOTable needs recursive
> > structures.
>
> I proposed in an IVOA interop some 2 or 3 years ago that VOTable be purged of
> RESOURCE and INFO, but it gained little traction.

There is no problem with having multiple RESOURCE elements at the same
level; I think that is useful for VOTable as a general container.
What we don't need is explicit recursive hierarchical structures,
which I think I recall is what caused the problems with schema
validation and code binding.  There are better ways to deal with
logical relationships among tables or other elements.

	- Doug