Definitive version of the VOTable schema for web services

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Fri Aug 1 12:33:31 PDT 2008

On 2008 Aug 1, at 19:09, Matthew Graham wrote:

> So you can write your WSDL by hand and then use a toolkit to
> generate the code or you write the code and then get a toolkit to
> generate the WSDL: either the way the toolkit is going to shaft you.
> It's so much easier if you do everything manually and use XML as
> much as possible.

I've been playing with WADL recently, and have a third option: write
the WADL and the code by hand, and use the WADL to generate the test
cases.

Or, more precisely, generate code (via an XSLT tranform) which is used
by the integration tests to guarantee that all of the client-server
interactions match one or other pattern described in the WADL, and to
check that all the available interactions in the WADL are actually
exercised in the test cases.  And I can generate the documentation as
well.

That keeps both sides honest.  I'm all for generating code, as long as
it's me who does the generating.  This way, I'm not really mortgaging
my future to someone else's code generator.

Oooh, I'm so sharp I could cut mys-OW!

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester