CEA and UWS-PA standardization

Paul Harrison Paul.Harrison at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Oct 11 01:59:33 PDT 2007

I have read the Note on the relationship between these Standards/
Implementations and I wanted to point out the  work that has already
been done in moving CEA towards standardization - I will try to
relate the content of these drafts to the content of the UWSCEANOTE
http://www.ivoa.net/Documents/cover/
IntroductionCEA_UWS-20071005.html  using the nomenclature of the note
and to the latest UWS specification draft http://www.ivoa.net/
internal/IVOA/IvoaGridAndWebServices/UWS-0.3.pdf.   To be concrete
lets look in terms of the current drafts that I published for Beijing
to the IVOA wiki http://www.ivoa.net/twiki/bin/view/IVOA/
CommonExecutionArchitecture, which actually are links to my ESO home
web.

1. CEAApplication http://www.eso.org/~pharriso/ivoa/
CEAApplicationDM.html
This describes the schema that is the basis of both the registration
of and the JDL for the UWS-PA. The document talks about CEA v1
because this would be first version that was published under an IVOA
controlled namespace, however in terms of [UWSCEANOTE] this is CEAv2
and perhaps the document and schema should carry this numbering.

2. CEAInterface http://www.eso.org/~pharriso/ivoa/CEAInterface.html
This contains a first iteration at defining both changes to the CEC
interface to add some concepts back from UWS as well as a first
attempt at formally specifying UWS-PA in WSDL 2 with accompanying
schema.

My remaining questions (not clear to me from reading [UWSCEANOTE]) are
1. is UWS still to have a SOAP profile - if so will this effectively
be CEC1 - or CEC2 (which is an update on CEC1 to conform with the UWS
pattern described in UWSDOC)?
2. is CEAv2 to be the only JDL for UWS-PA, or are others possible....

Cheers,
	Paul.

Dr. Paul Harrison
JBCA, Manchester University