New version of VO Support Interfaces: v0.26

Doug Tody dtody at nrao.edu
Tue May 8 11:50:49 PDT 2007

Hi Paul -

I agree with most of what you say.  The service provider (not
necessarily implementer or operations team) is the ultimate source
of all information describing the service.  The key issue is
that *resource* metadata, describing the service at a high level,
has nothing to do with the basic functioning of the service; the
service should describe only what it knows about, that is, itself
(the service metadata) and any data it manages.  The key problem with
putting an entire VOResource at the level of the service, is that we
are then requiring the service to curate resource metadata.  I think
the Resource Registry is much better suited to curating Resource
Metadata, describing the relationships between related resources,
ensuring resource metadata completeness and integrity, and so forth.

	- Doug