role of the registry

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue May 8 10:02:36 PDT 2007

Hi Matthew,

 > Don't worry, I'll be fighting shoulder-to-shoulder with you on the
 > barricades before the registry is killed or indeed replaced. What we

Great to hear.

And I agree that future uses of the VO might mean separating the detail
metadata from the registry entirely, even in the AstroGrid system. But
for now, to match the responsiveness of existing applications while
extending their functionality into the VO arena, we must be able to
provide those apps with detailed metadata at the same time as the
location and core-level metadata. What we cannot do is provide users
with more functionality (able to get at any dataset anywhere) but at the
expense of having to sit around and wait while the app gets the detail
metadata after they've selected their datasets.

Even in the future when we have these radically new search techniques, I
really do not think we will lose the need to cache detailed metadata
alongside the core stuff. Let's face it, Google does not just store the
location of pages with their titles, it stores fully detailed metadata
about every single page. It is only when you go to the page itself that
you might see slight differences based on cache vs actual.

Cheers,
Tony.

--
Tony Linde
Phone:  +44 (0)116 223 1292    Mobile: +44 (0)785 298 8840
Fax:    +44 (0)116 252 3311    Email:  Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Post:   Department of Physics & Astronomy,
         University of Leicester
         Leicester, UK   LE1 7RH
Web:    http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~ael

Project Manager, EuroVO VOTech   http://eurovotech.org