New version of VO Support Interfaces: v0.26

Guy Rixon guyrixon at gmail.com
Mon May 7 11:04:35 PDT 2007

Hi,

in view of the cross-WG debate on getting metadata from services, I
have produced a new version of the VO Support Interfaces spec, which
you may find at

http://www.ivoa.net/internal/IVOA/IvoaGridAndWebServices/
VOSupportInterfacesMandatory-0.26.pdf

In this version I've tried to make the operations compatible with the
suggested equivalents in DAL and TAP.

The operation that produces VOResources is split into getRegistration
- that which the service author wishes to put in the registry - and
getMetadata - all the resources, including those that should not be
registered. This tries to cover the cases of volatile metadata which
change too often for the registry to keep up.

The use of VOSI in REST systems is emphasized. In particular, in a
REST system, the getMetadata and getRegistration operations can be
implemented as any (HTTP) endpoint that produces the right kind of
document. Therefore, the author of a DAL service might register,
e.g.,  http://my.server.edu/dal-service/getCapabilities?
FORMAT=VOTable, calling out a specific use of the DAL getCapabilities
operation. Further, the registrationChangedOn and metadataChangedOn
operations for a REST service are now just the normal HTTP headers
for the registration and metadata documents; no need to implement
extra operations and so less work.

I've de-emphasized the SOAP binding for VOSI, but it's still in
there, unchanged from v0.25.

Normally, I'd suggest these changes on the GWS list before posting a
new draft. Since we're so close to the Interop, I've taken the
liberty of posting it anyway. It would be really nice to wrap up VOSI
in Beijing.

Cheers,
Guy