RESTful Web services and DAL

Paul Harrison pharriso at eso.org
Thu Mar 15 06:33:06 PDT 2007

On 14.03.2007, at 11:16, Norman Gray wrote:

>> REST has no use for a parameter-based GET since the latter is an
>> operation or method performed upon some object, and conflates actions
>> with resources.
>
> I think there is a role for URLs with parameters in a REST-style
> interface (others disagree, I know).  However it's rare, because it
> encourages this false analogy with procedure calls, and because of
> the problems which Guy describes in his earlier message.  At the
> same time, I don't believe that this is the core issue, and that
> arguing about whether SIAP cutout URLs are RESTful or not is
> possibly a bit of a blind alley.

I too think that there is definitely a role for URLs with parameters
in a REST-style interface - in the S*AP services, there is no strong
natural ordering of parameters, and some of them are optional, so
mapping them to a strict path style just does not work, as you cannot
reliably associate them with a level in the path hierarchy

unless you start do to things like...

http://server.com/siap/ra=30/dec=20/

but even then

http://server.com/siap/dec=20/ra=30/

obviously (to a human reader) points at the same "resource" even
though they are different uris - which is not usefully RESTful
behaviour.

It seems to me that trying to be blindly 100% compliant with any
methodology nearly always produces worse results than being a little
flexible - in fact the skill of a good programmer is knowing when to
break the rules.

Paul Harrison
ESO Garching
www.eso.org