UWS as a REST protocol

Tony Linde Tony.Linde at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Feb 27 07:58:10 PST 2007

For anyone else baffled:

Idempotent
(http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.1.2)
9.1.2 Idempotent Methods
Methods can also have the property of "idempotence" in that (aside from
error or expiration issues) the side-effects of N > 0 identical requests is
the same as for a single request. The methods GET, HEAD, PUT and DELETE
share this property. Also, the methods OPTIONS and TRACE SHOULD NOT have
side effects, and so are inherently idempotent.

However, it is possible that a sequence of several requests is non-
idempotent, even if all of the methods executed in that sequence are
idempotent. (A sequence is idempotent if a single execution of the entire
sequence always yields a result that is not changed by a reexecution of all,
or part, of that sequence.) For example, a sequence is non-idempotent if its
result depends on a value that is later modified in the same sequence.

A sequence that never has side effects is idempotent, by definition
(provided that no concurrent operations are being executed on the same set
of resources).

http://www.Taglocity.com Tags: IVOA, grid