UWS as a REST protocol

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 26 09:47:16 PST 2007

Markus,

at the moment, I'm much more enthusiastic about REST than SOAP for new
protocols (and UWS is not deployed anywhere so it's still new) and
particularly in respect of extensions to DAL services and the like.  I haven't
made any _production_ REST services yet, mind, but there is a simple prototype
at http://ag01.ast.cam.ac.uk:8082/UWS-1/ that tries out some of what I wrote
in the Note.

I think REST usually wins for services that are (a) public facing and and
registered in our kind of registry; (b) client-server. In this case, we've
already decided that they have URIs and a calling pattern that HTTP can
support. If we had some new kind of service, perhaps a genuine P2P messaging
kind of thing, then we might find that SOAP-over-something-other-than-HTTP was
better than REST.

If there arose a righteous SOAP toolkit that genuinely made SOAP both easy and
flexible, then maybe it would become better than REST in practical terms. This
hasn't happened yet.

I wouldn't want to deprecate existing IVOA protocols just because they're
based on SOAP. I'm not that much of a convert. :)

Cheers,
Guy

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523