UWS as a REST protocol

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 26 08:46:05 PST 2007

Hi Guy,

I think that this looks very promising and is line with similar thoughts
that I have had about a RESTful interface for VOSpace - I've started
writing these up and will hopefully have time to finish this some time
soon.

One general comment I have is that if we are going to do REST then let's
do it properly and make proper use of the full HTTP verbs: GET, PUT,
POST and DELETE. These are fully supported under HTTP v1.1 and any
programming language worth its salt can handle them. The issue as you
note is browser support but rich web clients will be based on JavaScript
or Ruby or something similar which can also handle these.

My other concern is security. With SOAP-based web services we have
WS-Security to make us feel comfortable that we are safe; with REST, the
only real "security standard" is HTTPS - are we happy that this is
sufficient? I'm unhappy about relying on transport-level security but
the only alternative is that we invent some message-level security
mechanism of our own for IVOA REST services: note that the Amazon S3
service does not regard HTTPS as sufficient and has its own
message-level security.

    Cheers,

    Matthew