Logging question/suggestion

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 25 04:10:30 PDT 2006

On the last day of the IVOA meeting me and Guy Rixon were chatting about
the Logging and namely how it will need to do e-mail and how users will
check e-mails to see when it is complete or if an error occurred.  And
if your a machine client you will need to monitor e-mail and/or VOSpace
to see when things are complete or error to do things more automated.
Also possibility of e-mail systems being down even though rare could be
a small/minor problem.

A suggestion was made; how about implement the UWS pattern with
Logging.  What do others think about it?
It would mean that clients could do polling to see if a job is complete
or error happened, and possibly resume jobs if there was a problem.  It
might seem a little heavy weight, but since we agreed we need security,
vospace, handle long running queries, and a requestid which matches the
resource identifier it would seem UWS idea might be a good fit.  Plus it
is quite likely that libraries to handle UWS will incorporate the
security and vospace.

cheers,
Kevin