Access control use-cases

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 12 03:39:33 PDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Norman Gray wrote:
> On 2006 Jul 11 , at 20.57, Roy Williams wrote:
>
> > The Nesssi system is predicated on graduated security: the
> > certificate and the request are considered *together* to decide
> > whether to devote resources to the request. This is a contrast to
> > traditional systems, where you must prove who you are first in a
> > rigorous way before getting anything at all.
>
> Thanks for this -- I've added a suitable case to the list, making the
> general observation that access isn't necessarily a simple function
> of identity, but will depend on other factors, or other features of
> the certificate, which will vary in time.

Being picky, I would say that, in this case, a different certificate implies a
different identity, so access rights _are_ just a function of identity.

There's an allied case where the service provider maps multiple external
identities to one internal identity. E.g.

  /C=UK/O=eScience/CN=Norman Gray

(strong certificataion) and

 /C=UK/O=AstroGrid/OU=dodgy test CA/CN=Norman

(weaker certification) are correctly identified as the same person. In this
case, the federation downgrades rights of the strongly-certified
identity to those appropriate for the most-weakly-certified identity. It's
only occasionally useful, and doesn't seem to apply to NESSSI.

None of this changes the usefulness of what NESSSI does. However, if we have
useful services responding to weak certificates, we need to work out what
other services should do for those identities. If we need a different weak
certificate for each service then we've not got single-sign-on any more.
Perhaps we need consistent levels of strength of certification for
interoperation? The three levels that seem managable are:

 - Has working email address (as originally suggested by
   Ray Plante in respect of weak CAs).

 - Known to local RA/CA within VObs community (AstroGrid's
   community model).

 - Approved by national-level grid Policy Management Authority
   (having given DNA sample or first-born child as hostage or whatever).

Are there any other _necessary_ levels? We can always sub-divide, but it
would be nice to keep it simple.

Cheers,
Guy

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523