'Weak' certificates

Norman Gray norman at astro.gla.ac.uk
Mon Jul 10 08:44:58 PDT 2006

Folks (Ray in particular),

Back in March last year, Ray posted a discussion of some
authentication requirements <http://www.ivoa.net/forum/grid/
0503/0281.htm> (this is the same message I referred to in my other
message today, but I'm following up on a different aspect of it here).

In that paper, Ray mentioned `weak certificates' as a way of allowing
users to create relatively informal identities quickly: `It must be
as easy for a user to create an identity (i.e. login) for oneself as
it is for any typical commercial or community web site featuring a
personal workspace (e.g. Travelocity, community blogs).'

Have you, Ray, been developing this idea since?  I couldn't see any
mention in the list archives apart from that thread.

The idea might effectively exist already, inasmuch as not all
certificates are equal, and some make stronger warrants than other
ones, without any technical distinction such as some being flagged as
explicitly `weak'.

For example, Thawte <www.thawte.com> provide a range of certificates,
from web server certificates down to `Personal e-mail certificates'.
The former are high assurance, and appear to require the corporate
equivalent of the passports and appointments that you describe; the
latter are low assurance, and all the verification that's required is
for Thawte to email you a random phrase, which you then enter into a
web-page.  These certificates contain an email address, and a CN of
"Thawte Freemail Member"; all they actually assert, therefore, is
that an email address exists, with what appears to be a human behind
it.  There are about half-a-dozen other certificates which Thawte
describe, which vary in what's asserted, and with some of them having
magic strings, such as "Domain Validated", in ON fields.  Thus you
can presumably tell the difference between them relatively easily,
but none are marked as `weak' or `strong', and the only way you can
tell what you may or may not rely on is by downloading Thawte's
Certification Practice Statement <http://www.thawte.com/cps/> and
reading through it.

A propos another remark in your 2005-03 paper, there is a mechanism
for upgrading the anonymous email certificate into one with your real
name attached, but it appears to involve the issue of a _new_
certificate, rather than the conversion of an existing one.  I don't
see that that's a problem, however -- you're presumably allowing
access based on identity, rather than certificate hashes.

All the best,

Norman

----
Norman Gray  /  http://nxg.me.uk
eurovotech.org  /  University of Leicester, UK