SSO authentication: a new approach

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 10:34:59 PST 2005

Ray,

thanks for the comments.

regarding "single registration", I do of course mean each user registering
just once rather than all users registering at one point.

We have a per-project registration in the UK. The national e-Science programme
operates a CA with registration authorities in each university. The Cambridge
RA isn't in our department, it's in the central computing service down town.
The CA itself is at RAL. To get a certificate, I have to apply to the CA, then
make an appointment (!) to see the RA then drive across town with my
(physical, none-M$) passport (!) and sign for the certificate (!), then go
back to the office and extract the actual certificate from the on-line system.
The whole process sucks, and one would have to be desparate (or silly) to use
that system. We need something a lot more user-friendly.

For the early days, we can register users remotely at project-level CAs, based
on email and phone checks. As the user-base grows, this system will fail to
scale and I still think we'll go back to department-based registration.
However, departments may be able to register guests from other HEIs; it will
just take longer to check those applications.

In the UK, JISC is getting ready to set up Shibboleth registration-points all
over the accedemic community.  Part of Shibboleth is a service that emits SAML
statements to do with users being logged on. Our authorization tickets may
also be SAML statements. We may be able to merge our community services with
Shibboleth's facilities such that users registered with Shibboleth can
automatically use the VO.  More likely, it will work the other way: our
community services will be valid as identity agents in Shibboleth.

Your weak certficates: how does a receiving service distinguish them from a
strong certficate? Do they have a different CA?

Cheers,
Guy

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523