Logging suggestion

Ani Thakar thakar at skysrv.pha.jhu.edu
Wed Dec 7 15:26:33 PST 2005

There are two different logging services that we are talking about here,
I think:

	- site logging
	- VO logging

The first is the logging service at a given site that may or may not
provide a query interface for users to view the logged data.  This logs
all the services at a given site (e.g. STScI).

The second is the VO-wide log harvesting that collects the logs from all
the VO services in a VO domain (e.g. NVO).

Which one do you mean by "centralized logging service"?

The logging interface in the support interfaces draft only deals with
the minimum that any site or service needs to do to get its log data
harvested to the VO logging VOStore.

It's fine if each site has a central logging service that has a log
harvesting interface hanging off it that the VO log harvester can use to
retrieve log data from it periodically.  Each individual service does
not need to support a log harvesting interface.

In the current proposal the VO log harvester initiates the xfer of log
data by giving the site a range of dates and a VOStore identifier.  The
site then pushes the log data to the VO harvester store.

This way if there are any changes to the VO harvester store location or
authentication, all the VO sites need not be updated.

Anyway, more at the tech-WG telecon tomorrow.

	Ani

--
Aniruddha R. Thakar, Research Scientist
Center for Astrophysical Sciences, JHU