A couple of questions on Support Interface for Logging

KevinBenson kmb at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Dec 7 03:56:10 PST 2005

I had a few questions on the updated Support Interface.

1.) Logging now going to VOStore?
    This seems a little too much, both the server and client have to do
complicated tasks: sending/retrieving files to and from VOStore,
generating request id's, e-mail Notifications, either client or server
will need to specify filenames in the VOStore, convert your results to
csv.  All seem to be a little complicated.
    I would prefer that we keep it simple can we just have it as
synchronous and have it immediately returned.  I suspect there is a lot
of logging going on, but we should be able to return up to a month worth
of data in a synchronous call.  How about simply restricting in the spec
the fromDate and toDate should not be more than a 30 days between the
dates.   And for the return of the data it can now be an actual simple
xml schema of all your optional&required values.

**The next question are really only if we kept the Logging interface
simple with no VOStore.
2.)  Will we need security on the logging?
   If we did keep it simple is there anything in the response that would
require security?  I can only possibly see clientIP. Be nice not to have
security at all on Logging interface.  Or is there other hidden reasons
you might need authentication into the Logging interface.

cheers,
Kevin