web services for remote execution

Roy Williams roy at caltech.edu
Fri Sep 24 08:29:10 PDT 2004

Guy

I have been watching some the emails, wondering if any of them fit what I want to do.
O'Mullane and his RunID seems relevant, The GGF document on "Scenarios for mapping DAIS
concepts" seems relevant.

I am building an infrastructure for Science Gateways on the grid. This is a set of secure
web services that allow execution and monitoring of batch jobs. It is intended to be used
with a set of web pages to expose particular functionality (eg astronomical mosaicking,
seismic simulations, etc).

The web services would allow:

1. Creation of a session on the server, including creation of file space, and return of
sessionID

2. Put and Get to the file space of a session

3. Execution of an arbitrary Unix command on the server, which includes:
-- Queuing jobs on the server as part of session
-- Monitoring status of remote jobs using sessionID

4. Removing and deleting a session and its files

I am close to defining my own service interface (WSDL) for these actions. Before I do so,
can you (or anyone else) tell me if anyone else has already done this (CEA? CondorSOAP?
GGF?)

Thank You
Roy

--------