MSO and multiple communities

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Jul 7 05:53:57 PDT 2004

> In Wil's MyDB system, data are owned by individuals, so
> authorization has to be at the individual level.  This is
> because it's a read-write system.  In a read-only archive,
> authorization at group level is still OK in most cases.  In
> the cases where it isn't, the operator of the archive will
> want the finer-grained authorization to achive their own ends.

Just to be clear though, this does not mean that individuals or groups or
indeed anyone but the VOSpace management system needs any level of access to
the data in the MyDB database. On the physical system, no accounts at all
are necessary since no-one has _direct_ access to any data, whether file- or
dbms-based: all access is mediated through some management system.

Cheers,
Tony.