MSO and multiple communities

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jul 7 02:56:28 PDT 2004

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Martin Hill wrote:

> Wil O'Mullane wrote:
>
> > we do not need accounts or certificates for the simple jobs
> > so no not necessarily for all 10k users
> > but for the perhaps1k who want a more sophisticated service yes
>
> I got the impression that groups allow a coarse-grained approach to
> assigning privileges and avoid having to track huge numbers of
> individuals.  Groups can span communities and so separate assigning
> privilege from trust.  That way we don't need to ask data providers to
> assign vast numbers of individual privileges.  I'm a bit out of touch
> though :-(

Yes, this is the purpose of groups.  However, when controlling access to files
owned by individuals - think of VOSpace - groups don't avoid the need to
authorize at the individual level.

> > If i really do not need to identify users then why are we doing this at all
> > we do not need security or certificates
>
> On that subject; is there any formal security analysis on the VO?  ie,
> what are we 'defending' against amongst the various services?  I get the
> impression that the majority of services do not need any security, but
> the fact that some do requires a way of passing security tokens between
> all services so that 'fully public' services can pass results or make
> calls to 'secure' services.

There is no formal analysis yet, although we might commission one when we have
an agreed scheme to analysis.

Earlier discussions in AstroGrid identified these threats:

 - Improper access to restricted ("proprietary" archive-data).

 - Improper access to users' own files (MySpace et al.).

 - Accidental damage to ephemeral state (e.g. user A trashes B's query).

 - Accidental damage to permanent state (e.g. user A drops service B's DB).

 - Malicious damage to ephemeral or permanent state.

 - Malicious denial of service attacks (e.g. repeated large queries).

 - Accidental denial of service attacks ("slashdotting" by general public
   when an astronomical even is mentioned in the media).

>From this list one could then subdivide into types of attack or accident.

Note that there's a mixed bag of impropriety, damage and inconvenience in the
categories above. We're trying to exclude all of these with one access-control
system because it seems too horrible to build several systems. But, following
Roy's 2-hands/no-hands message, I wonder if this is the easiest approach.

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk