MSO and multiple communities

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 14:20:39 PDT 2004

> I will have an accoutn for each user on my system but I will
> create it the first time I see their identity

So anyone who ever uses any data or software on your machine will get an
account created - possibly 10000 plus of them. Why? If all you're going to
do is create the accounts when you see the identity, why go to the bother?
Why not just run the job anyway? Or are you going to add them to all the
groups that your apps and data use to encompass privileges? And how are you
going to recognise when people are added to and removed from groups? It
isn't going to work.

We've sold the IVO on the idea that anyone can get at any data anywhere. If
you're going to manage that on the basis of every user who ever signs up to
the IVO having an account on every system attached to the IVO, it simply
wont work. It is like saying that I have to have an account on every http
server in the world before I can browse the web.

All the mechanics has to be transparent to the user and relatively simple to
implement or it won't scale.

Cheers,
Tony.