MSO and multiple communities

Matthew Graham mjg at cacr.caltech.edu
Tue Jul 6 09:16:26 PDT 2004

Hi,

> If a user has to hunt around finding different communities to register
> accounts with before they can achieve anything useful with the the IVO then
> the IVO will have failed.
>
> We must find a way that a user can simply construct a workflow consisting of
> several jobs, having first made sure that they have the relevant
> authorisations through group membership (1), and then expect that workflow
> to run through to completion. That is the requirement.

Consider the situation when the actual services used in the workflow
are dynamically chosen; for example, if they are selected by discovery,
i.e. querying a registry for the optimum service matching the requirements
of the user. The model I have in mind is that the user creates an
abstract representation of their workflow using a GUI, say, and the
workflow engine then queries a registry to determine what is the optimal
execution plan for the proposed workflow given that it is this user.
The onus here is then not on the user to have selected which services to
use but on the registry so that it can be queried on authorisation
information - can this user use this service?

Part of the instantiation process for the workflow would then be signing
on to the various services - the user is at this stage making their cup of
coffee so is not around to physically sign on themselves.

Another scenario is what if the workflow engine is load balancing services
so that it needs to change which particular implementation of a service it
is using in mid-flow? The user will again not be around to issue a new
sign-on.

	Cheers,

	Matthew