MSO and multiple communities

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 08:15:24 PDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Dave Morris wrote:

> Guy Rixon wrote:

> >>Why? The list of members in the group includes that user's account id. No?
> >>

> >Suppose my identity is in community C1 and my group is in C2.  My target
> >service trusts C2 but not C1.
> >
> If the service S does not trust your originating community C1, then you
> can't access the service.
> End of story.

OK...in that case S only trusts a group warrant from C2 if the warrant is
names an indivdual account, at some Ci and S also trusts Ci.  I.e., the group
warrant can't say 'the bearer of the public key xyz is a member of group G';
it has to say that 'the caller X is a member of group G provided that you
can authenticate X as individual user I'.  Possible, but we'd better be aware
of the distinction.

Also bear in mind that it's impossible to make a CA secure retroactively.  You
have to shut down the CA, kick all the miscreants out of the community (or
have all the community members re-register), then rebuild all the remote
groups and start over with a new CA with a new certficate.  So we'd better
start the communities off on a good footing.

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523