MSO and multiple communities

Dave Morris dave at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 07:49:58 PDT 2004

Guy Rixon wrote:

>>However, there is a useability problem with this model.
>>a) The user needs to be aware of what membership warrants are required
>>for which actions and selects them when designing a workflow.
>>

>This would be a policy look-up on the registry.

Yep, not a technical problem, more of a useability one, the user ends up
having to deal with permissions, certificates and stuff that the Vo
should be hiding.
For a simple query to one data center this is straightforward, but it
gets very messy very quickly for a complex workflow that may invoke
other nested sub-workflows.
The user does not want to fiddle with all of this stuff each time they
design a workflow, they just want to concentrate on the science and get
the system to work out the plumbing for them.

>Pro: minimized warrants sent to service.
>
>Con: service has to interact with many communities at time of call;
>all must be up and there are more (but smaller) messages.

Yep, I havn't figured out a way to avoid this.
As long as the messages are small and the response is quick, then is
this really a problem ?
This is the model that AstroGrid is working on at the moment, until we
come up with a better one.

>Con: user agent has to associate the same key pair with all the communities
>=> user agent has to log in to each community at the start of the session
>=> use ragent has to know which communities are relevant.

Not sure what you mean here.

Dave