MSO and multiple communities

Guy Rixon gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 05:58:10 PDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Tony Linde wrote:

> To my mind it adds nothing that cannot be achieved with groups since anyone
> can be made a member of a group regardless of the community to which they
> first registered. And it introduces the complexity of trying to recognise
> where multiple accounts belong to the same person and reconciling the
> privileges associated with each account.

Possibly. But federating group membership across communities is about as
difficult as federating community memberships directly.  I don't see any
finesse that makes it easier.

If we say that a user can be in a group in a community but not actually in
that community, then isn't a bit hard?

Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523