Introductory note for SSO proposal

Doug Tody dtody at aoc.nrao.edu
Thu Jul 1 09:22:57 PDT 2004

Guy -

This looks good, but it would be very helpful to do a walk-through of a
typical use case to illustrate in concrete terms what is being proposed,
down to the level of the specific software required to implement such
a capability.

For example, suppose we have the following scenario:

    o	Site A maintains a user database of all users of the facility.
    	Probably we want to associate the central sign-on authority for
	the site with this user database.  When a user first accesses
	the system, e.g., via a Web page, or via a remote Java client,
	we somehow authorize the user with this authority.

    o	The user runs some Java client, say a proposal submission tool,
	which wants to query a database at the site, and ultimately
	update information in the database.  The Java client will need
	to authenticate with the master sign-on authority for the site.
	This presumably returns some sort of ticket back to the client
	which it can then pass off to the database front-end to gain
	secure access.	How does this work and what software is used?
	What is the lifetime and scope of the ticket?  Can it be passed
	around to different clients on different computers or possibly at
	different sites?   How?  We will need different "communities" as you
	say, e.g., for PIs and their CoIs, for the TAC, for the local staff,
	and so forth.  A single person might be in more than one community.

    o	The same authorization mechanism would then be used to retrieve
	data from the archive.	Again, this could have various front ends.
	A typical scenario might be for a user or client program at site
	A to perform a query to site B and pass a secure request to site
	C to initiate a third-party transfer of the data back to site A.

Each site would want to maintain its own user database and authentication
mechanism since this same mechanism would probably be used for internal
operations.  We might need to gateway whatever is used internally to
whatever is used for site-to-site authentication within the VO, or perhaps
this could be another example of a community.

Thanks.

	- Doug