StandardInterfaces V0.1

Tony Linde ael at star.le.ac.uk
Fri Jan 23 10:12:11 PST 2004

> I would like howver as a provider to tell the regitry here is
> my service and have it come get my metadata rather than
> putting on a form or uploading it.

That makes sense, but what about services which already exist and which
no-one wants to modify: presumably their owner can add the registry entry
manually and set a flag saying that the service does not support the
Metadata method.

> Harvisting is a registry thing - this is a single record for
> one service. Its not quite the same thing.

Ok. If everyone else wants to keep the MetaDataChangedOn method then that's
fine.

> But why if the registry knows there is a service why not let
> it check on it and get new metadata iif available.

Just seemed more efficient for the resource to push its changes to the
registry than have the registry keep checking it for changes. I don't mind
but I do think, as has been said elsewhere, that we need a range of options:
push, pull, poll, notify etc.

> > SI-4:

This will always be problematic. Maybe we should go for a simpler interface
to start with and leave this out. If everyone else wants to keep it then it
must be optional.

Cheers,
Tony.