Impossible Queries

Martin Hill mch at roe.ac.uk
Tue Sep 30 06:25:20 PDT 2003

> I _would_ like to explore the general principle of what to do when a
> resource can't answer a query exactly as phrased.  Is it acceptable to
> return an approximate answer (e.g. assume zero proper motion if no proper
> motions are known)?  If so, how would we inform the "user" of the
> approximation, and how might the user limit the approximations made in the
> processing?

My feeling on this is that a query that cannot be properly processed should
be rejected at submission. That way the astronomer (or calling service) can
redraft it so that the results are known properly.  I feel that data services
at least should be very explicit and straightforward; any 'vaguenesses' and
'best guesses' should be made at some higher workflow level, so that
astronomers always have direct access to predictable results.

Over to you all...

--
Martin Hill
Astrogrid/AVO, ROE