ADASS discussions

Chenzhou Cui ccz at bao.ac.cn
Tue Sep 23 02:54:55 PDT 2003

hi. Guy,

I am sorry for my misunderstanding of your words.

Maybe it is too early to decide whether OGSI services become _mandatory_
for any part of IVOA.

Cheers,
Chenzhou

Guy Rixon wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Chenzhou Cui wrote:
>

>>Guy Rixon wrote:
>>

>>>On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Alasdair Allan wrote:

>>>Recently, I'm beginning to wonder if OGSI is worth the bother.  Here in Java
>>>land, we're stuck with GT3 as the only implementation, which makes development
>>>slow and difficult.  Parastatidis et al. have questioned the usefulness of
>>>OGSI as a standard, proposing an alternative that matches better to web
>>>services standards.  If we don't do OGSI now, I'm wondering if it will have
>>>become obsolete by the time we need to exploit it.

>>I think it is suitable for a small VO project, such as China-VO, to
>>focus its effort on one choice or just a few choices. We can adopt other
>>technologies after they have been implemented successfully in other VO
>>projects.
>

> China-VO can do whatever works best internally, of course.  We wouldn't dream
> to trying to stop you using OGSI.  However, we need to decide whether OGSI
> services become _mandatory_ for any part of IVOA.  I.e., to connect a
> hypothetical Xxx-VO to the global Virtual Observatory, do the Xxx-VO people
> _have_ to add some OGSI services, or can they do it all with "standard" web
> services?
>

> Guy Rixon 				        gtr at ast.cam.ac.uk
> Institute of Astronomy   	                Tel: +44-1223-337542
> Madingley Road, Cambridge, UK, CB3 0HA		Fax: +44-1223-337523

Chenzhou Cui
National Astronomical Observatory | Tel: (8610)64877703-1328
Chinese Academy of Sciences       | FAX: (8610)64878240
Datun Road 20A, Chaoyang District | Email: ccz at bao.ac.cn
Beijing 100012, China             | WWW: www.lamost.org/~cb